A brief summary of creation vs curation
So you’re sat creating your marketing plan, it might be for the month ahead, a week ahead or even for the following year, but you’re faced with the daunting task of having to plan for every single piece of content, let alone any curve balls that might come your way. Content marketing is the key to a strong online presence, basically an approach that focuses on creating, curating and distributing content that’s relevant, consistent and importantly, valuable to your business.
If done correctly, expect to see results that will wow your whole department.
By definition, content creation is something that is made to be expressed through a medium such as speech, writing or self-expression in the form of photography, video and blogging. In even simpler terms, content creation is described as the material people contribute to the online world – nice.
Content creation is essential for businesses who are problem solvers. Being able to provide answers to people’s questions or issues means creation is a must, and the content that’s created consistently and frequently will increase the reputation of the brand.
Curation and creation are important ways of building brand awareness, value and trust. Finding the correct balance between curation and creation is the key to success. Let’s take a closer look at what we mean by curation.
Unlike content creation, curation is content that has been created by others. This content can be made by people or businesses with far bigger budgets or influence than your own, but providing the content relates to your target audience, it’s a no brainer to add some curation to your content plan.
Content curation helps your brand to become more reliable, bringing viewers in and showing them you’re a source of information that will in turn boost credibility. Curated content allows your brand to breathe, allowing varying content to naturally move in its own direction.
Ask any marketeer about content marketing, and they’ll often mention the 80/20 rule. Interestingly, many say just 20% of your content should be about your brand, with the remaining 80% should be content that adds value and respect to your brand, sparking conversations with potential customers or investors.
We can’t stress this enough – variation is key. Always remember that social media channels were originally created as a way to connect with people or to escape from a hard day at work, the last thing people want to feel is forced into looking at your brand or product.
Effective content creation and curation gives you the ability to start conversations with people on their terms, answering their questions and providing the information they need.
After being involved with digital marketing for over 25 years and holding several senior and directorial roles in digital marketing, it comes as no surprise that Dave is widely regarded as an authority on paid search and PPC in particular.